Two-year post-doc at the Ceramics Research Institute (IRCER) Limoges, France
Title: Modeling of the operation of a plasma arc torch
This post-doctoral work is part of a project with SAFRAN, a French multinational manufacturer of aircraft engines, rocket engines and aerospace and defense components. This project, led by the Institute for Research on Ceramics (IRCER) in Limoges and the Institute of Mechanics and Engineering of Bordeaux (I2M), aims to build the digital twin of an emerging industrial coating process: suspension plasma spraying. This process uses a plasma torch to create the plasma jet in which the material to be deposited is processed.
The work of the post-doc concerns:
– the numerical simulation of the behavior of the electric arc and the formation of the plasma jet in the torch by solving the Navier and Stokes equations coupled with the electromagnetic equations. This simulation uses a model of the plasma torch operation developed in the laboratory on the open source CFD code, Code Saturn. The model will have to be adapted to the geometry of the torch used by the SAFRAN Company. Different operating conditions will be tested.
– the development of a platform for the formatting and exchange of simulation data obtained by the post-doc and the three PhD students who are also working on this project and modelling the other parts of the process (treatment of the suspension in the plasma jet, construction of the coating)
– Participation in the steering committee of the project.
Work location: IRCER, 12 rue Atlantis, Limoges, 87000, France
– Proficiency in physical environments such as fluid dynamics, fluid/structure interaction, thermal/thermodynamics….
– Knowledge of Unix/Linux operating systems
– Mastery of programming languages: C, C++, Fortran-
– Programming skills
– Experience in the development of numerical simulation applications, high performance computing or finite element methods is a plus.
– Knowledge of plasmas is a plus
– Knowledge of electric arcs is a plus.
– Autonomy and rigor
– Good organizational skills
– Ability to write reports and scientific papers
– Ability to work in a team
Keywords: CFD, MHD, plasma, electric arc, numerical modeling and simulation, Safran, data exchanges